Red Beans & Rice
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1 Andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 tbsp or 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp each onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- To taste: cajun seasoning, salt, pepper
- Rinse beans thoroughly until the water is clear.
- Add beans, sausage, onion, spices, garlic, and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Cover with 1/2–1" water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until beans are thoroughly cooked, occasionally checking that the beans are still covered with water.
- Serve over some not so boring rice with sliced green onions and hot sauce.
For a heartier dish, replace water with chicken or vegetable stock.