Balsamic Portobello Burgers
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about the juice from 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, basil, oregano, salt, and garlic in mixing bowl with fork.
- Place portobello caps in freezer bag. Pour in marinade, seal, and swirl to ensure a consistent coating. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high temperatures and oil cooking grate.
- Grill portobello caps until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Baste with leftover marinade once per side. Cover with provolone for the final 2 minutes of grilling.
- Serve on lightly toasted brioche bun with baby spinach, tomato, red onion, and spicy garlic aioli.
If you don’t have access to a grill, a George Foreman or cast iron skillet would make a fine replacement.