10 minutes prep10 minutes cook
- 8" non-stick frying pan or skillet
- 1 small purple onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- To taste: salt, pepper
- Heat pan to medium, medium-high heat. Once heated add a drizzle of vegetable oil.
- Add onions to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook down until softened, about 4–5 minutes, constantly stirring.
If the onions are browning on the edges instead of becoming translucent, they are cooking too fast. Add 1 tbsp water and stir to remedy.
- Lower heat to medium and add the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Cook until jammy, about 4–5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop jam into a jar for storage.
The jam makes a great topping for an ultimate cheese burger, or for the more adventurous among us, a flatbread pizza.